I love Pixar. We own every single movie (except Cars 2, which is on the wish list). I quote them all the time. In fact, Ian quizzed me on random Pixar quotes he pulled from our Pixarpedia (yes, I know), and I was able to correctly identify almost every single one. So it was only appropriate that for my birthday we went to the Science Behind Pixar exhibit at the Museum of Science.
We arrived a little early for our timed ticket, just to make sure we weren't late. Promptly at 1:30 p.m., everyone in our time slot was ushered into a small room to watch a short introduction video hosted by Pixar characters, and then the doors opened and we were released to explore the giant interactive exhibition space.
We got to meet our favorite characters as we slowly worked and played our way through the process of creating an animated movie. Eight areas highlight modeling, rigging, surfaces, sets and cameras, animation, simulation, lighting, and rendering, each illustrated with a different movie set. Everything is interactive, allowing visitors to experiment with the process: we played with the lights on a miniature set from UP! and adjusted camera focus with Wall-E. And the exhibit was sprinkled with plenty of videos interviewing Pixar employees about their jobs and how what they do fits into the big picture.
We spent 2+ hours wandering around and learning about the complex science that goes into creating Pixar's incredible and beautiful stories, and loved every minute. In fact, we spent so much time there we weren't able to use our tickets to the museum proper (but we've got six months to squeeze in another visit). We highly recommend catching this special exhibit before it closes on January 10!
See more of our photos from the exhibit on Flickr.
Labels: backyard tourists: Boston
01. a good first condo association meeting.
02. Dinner and ice cream with Grant, visiting from SF (we miss you!).
03. an interesting project a work.
04. a DR trip barbecue, to catch up with friends.
05. a Skype call with the Vargas family.
06. Dane and Ian turning an old broom closet into a shiny (tiny) pantry.
07. Super Cluckin' Sunday.
08. a great phone call with Grandma.
09. a fancy event at the office.
10. catching up with the Oaks after the first half of their global adventure.
11. a walk through Mount Auburn Cemetery.
12. the REUNION Viva La Picnic!
13. a leisurely breakfast with our house guests before heading to work.
14. the Oaks knocking out some painting for us.
15. cozy sweaters.
16. pizza in the fridge.
18. catching up with Drew.
19. dinner with the Drs. Hu.
20. Roxy's for dinner.
21. a date to see MUTEMATH, front and center, with my favorite person.
22. REUNION friends, who totally understood our late night, despite the early morning.
23. my favorite TV shows to keep me company when Ian travels for work.
24. an overall good report from our Mass Save energy audit.
25. the energy companies covering a big chunk of the only thing we need: exterior insulation.
26. a trip to Wilson Farm with good friends for decorative gourds and cider doughnuts.
27. Super Cluckin' Sunday with new friends (and a five-loaves-two-fish moment).
28. successful completion of operation paint the dining room phase one.
29. a visit from mom and dad.
31. a trip to the Cape with mom and dad (their first).
32. the cranberry harvest celebration.
33. beach time with double the family.
34. taking dad to Russo's.
35. mom's chicken adobo.
36. community group.
37. installation of our Nest thermostat (dreams really do come true; also, yay rebates!).
38. the third annual chili and pumpkin carving event.
39. Grey's excitement for gutting pumpkins.
40. lunch with an awesome coworker.
41. dinner at Alden & Harlow with a couple of my favorite ladies.
42. a super productive weekend in putting the house together.
43. our new bed frame.
44. a dining table.
45. Swedish meatballs (thanks, IKEA).
46. finally finishing the paint job in the dining room.
47. FaceTime, so Ian and I could watch the Royals game together, 300+ miles apart.
48. holding down the community group fort in the absence of our fearless leaders.
49. celebrating Micki's birthday while watching the Royals.
50. awesome sushi costumes for a Halloween party.
51. a husband who was excited to make my sushi costume dream come true.
52. a fun Halloween party.
53. a Royals win (#takethecrown): just one more to make Grandma Judy pop champagne.
54. Ian, always.
01. learning more about La Mosca and the DR, and ways we can grow our partnership.
02. a barbecue hosted by the Aguilars (now serving full time in Santiago!).
03. an awesome bilingual church service in La Mosca.
04. great conversation with Reina on the way to the beach.
05. beach time with the Vargas family.
06. the opportunity to sit together as a team and reflect on the trip.
07. an amazing final trip dinner on the roof of the church.
08. a special air guitar performance by Jim Hatfield.
09. a not-too-early morning to get to the airport on time.
10. safe travels home.
11. a decent week easing back into work.
12. a husband who is awesome at packing for a move.
13. a birthday party for a one year old (cake smash!).
14. lunch with Danielle.
15. a bocce win.
16. a good pre-close walk through.
17. a painless closing (where we met the seller, who was so kind).
18. a celebration lunch with the Drs. Hu.
19. hanging out in an empty condo with our new neighbors.
20. a beautiful video of our trip created (so quickly) by Ben.
21. fresh paint (and the satisfaction of doing it ourselves).
22. our amazing friends and family for helping us get our move done.
23. a baseball game with the whole family (Ren and Emily flew up!).
24. a Sox win (sorry, Grandma Judy).
25. a Sunday morning doughnut delivery from friends turned neighbors.
26. discovering the BBC's Sherlock (I love you, PBS).
27. an ice cream truck at the office (for breakfast).
28. a weekend on the Cape.
29. a fun morning of Color Me Rad with Ian.
30. sharing Sherlock with Micki.
31. our new adventure as homeowners.