4.17.2005

An Ode to PB & J: an approximately paragraph long rambling discourse on the goodness of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

So I just finished writing a composition in French (slightly over 1 page long, using the 'conditionnel' mood verb tense, its fun, let me tell you). It could be a little longer, but it is two lines over the minimum (but if you have any interesting ideas for what my life should be like after I graduate, feel free to tell me. I've got the usual stuff... good job, good marriage, a couple kids, lots of traveling... I think I might add a pet snake in there too. So any creative assistance would be welcome! At any rate, after focusing on all that French, I decided to take a blog-break before I dive into some of my other homework. (by the way, if you have any info on language in either the Philippines or in a former Spanish colony that I could use as a comparison, it'd come in handy in a final project that I'm starting to work on!)

Anyway, so yesterday, I woke up... really late, and decided that perhaps I should get some lunch before the good ol' Derb closed for the afternoon. So after throwing on some grungy clothes, I made the trek across the parking lot (beautiful day) and up the stairs to the dashers line. Nothing sounded too appealing, so I went to the wonderful sandwich standby. Walking back to my room, paper bag with sandwiches and milk inside, I began to think about how much I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Honestly, they are very underappreciated. No one ever talks about how amazing they are, so I decided that it was time that they get their due. However, I haven't had my poetry writing class yet (that's next semester), so I don't really know if rambling about the goodness of pb & j for approximately a paragraph really technically constitutes an ode... *mental note to self: look up the word ode* Probably not, but ode sounds much more interesting and poetic than "an approximately paragraph long rambling discourse on the goodness of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches." Honestly, what kind of title is that... ya know, never mind, I like it. *adds subheading to title* much better.

So really. Just think about the pb & j. That wonderful sandwich that brings back warm memories of your childhood, when your mom would lovingly pack a lunch for you to take to joy school, and you'd sit at those little tables in those tiny chairs, where you weren't quite cool enough to sit with the popular little girls... scratch the memory retrieval sentiment. So really. Just think about the pb & j. That wonderful sandwich that brings you back to the simple pleasures in life. The creamy stickiness of the tan peanut butter spread across a soft slice of iron kids bread, (depending on your peanut butter preference) with little bits of peanuts dotted across the surface. The wonderful strawberry red color of the jam sparkling on the other slice of bread, just waiting for you to slap the two sides together and shove it into your mouth, where the bread would immediately stick to the roof of your mouth, and you'd hurt your tongue trying to get it off, before giving up and just washing it all down with an ice cold glass of creamy milk (or perhaps pasty water-milk, if you drink skim). Honestly, I think the world would be a better place if everyone would just sit down and eat pb & j together. We could achieve world peace.

Have a wonderful day. Eat a pb & j.