4.12.2008

to "redneck" who reads random blogs at 2 a.m.

This is going to be quite different than my thankful list or my concrete aspirations list (3 posts in a week, I think this is a record!), but I received this comment last night to a post I made in June 2005.
I happen to be a country boy and the sexy women around here like the starched wranglers because it shows what you have in the frony and back. They think horse riding, mud ridin, and lawnmower pulls are the best things to do. I take pride in the rebel flag, boots, starched wranglers, and cowboy hats. They also think spittin tobacco and smoking cowboy killers (marbolo reds) shows you are a man — redneck
Now, redneck, I'm not sure how you found my blog, or why you decided to read a 2-year-old post. But I do want to reply, in the event you regularly read my blog. Even if you don't, I feel the need to vindicate myself, because, quite frankly, you've irritated me. Not because you have several typos and I am an English major, or because you revel in the cowboy culture and I don't. It is your right to love all things cowboy. But it is also my right, as a gal who grew up in the Midwest and loves Kansas, to hate this subculture.

First off, while I did voice my distaste for starched jeans, my main complaint was the fact that, as part of my job, I had to slave for 8 hours every day turning these pants into cardboard, which I found ridiculous and sometimes even painful.

Second off, I don't like people assuming I love country music and cowboys just because I am from Kansas, or perhaps assuming I don't find it attractive because I am not currently living in the Midwest. Just because people in a region fit a stereotype, it doesn't mean it is true for everyone. Not all "sexy women around here" (wherever "here" is) melt for cowboys — this coming from myself (although I refrain from categorizing myself as "sexy"), who has grown up around this culture. I don't want to see "what you have in the frony and back." (What is your frony anyway... okay, just had to). I grew up going to the county fair every year, and while I enjoy these activities for the week, I don't think they are the epitome of a good time. I enjoy Jane Austen, classical music, hard rock, oldies, dragging main, and visiting my grandparents' farm. I don't personally find the classical cowboy look to be appealing. I like my husband much better. And I absolutely detest "spittin' tobacco" (you forgot your apostrophes, by the way, which you need when you drop letters) and smoking in general, not just in cowboys. Unhealthy, revolting, and decidedly not the definition of a man. And I know lots of other women who are surrounded by cowboys as well and would agree with this. A man is a good leader, responsible, a gentleman, takes care of what he needs to (family, friends, other responsibilities), remains loyal, stands up for what he should, loves well (love, in this instance, not referring to sex or "what he has in frony"), admits when he is wrong and works to correct his mistakes and learn from them... and much more. A cowboy can be a man on equal footing with a classical violinist on equal footing with a punk rocker. "Clothes don't make the man" as the cliche goes. Neither does anything you mentioned in your comment. Whether or not you are a man goes much deeper — to your character. It is not in wearing too-tight jeans or using tobacco products.

So from a technically-country gal to a "country boy," you enjoy what you do, I reserve my right to dislike and avoid it, despite my roots. And I find your definition of manhood quite shallow.