12.08.2007

Life is so fast

It's getting close to a month since I last blogged. And not for lack of thought, but lack of time. It's funny how life comes at you so fast. I thought, oh, graduation, no homework, I'll have more free time, because I can leave my work at work. But things expand to fill your time, and unless you're intentional, you're never less busy. You just need to make sure what you're occupying your time with is worthwhile. Following God, investing in people, appreciating the world. I feel like these past few weeks have been a loss of that intentionality. I've let myself become overwhelmed with wedding preparations, moving plans, instead of enjoying all of it, and the last moments I have with everyone here before we leave, and the joy of preparing for Ian and I's new life together.

I could tell you all the updates... we bought wedding rings, the bachelorette party was so much fun (thanks to my amazing bridesmaids, and also to everyone who came! You girls all mean so much to me, and I am so thankful you are in my life — no matter how busy life is, no matter how long it's been since we've seen each other, I know I can count on you when I need it. There are not words to thank you enough for that, I love you all!), we ordered napkins just in time, as plum is being discontinued, so not only did we get the right color, we got them on sale, we're plugging away at all the little details. And not that it is all meaningless, because it's not — all of it enables us to enjoy celebrating our wedding with everyone we care about. But I want to make sure I'm taking time to appreciate family, friends, the time I get to enjoy with everyone, and most especially Ian. With the overwhelmingness of everything, it's very easy to snap at each other, and forget the big picture, and how lucky I am. And, even bigger than that, to continue my walk with God. It's very easy, especially when we are busy, to push it to the back burner. To worry about the urgent details, and forget about what is important. I can feel the difference when I make that ever so slight shift. It's not so much a matter of a radical shift in the way I spend my day, but the attitude of my heart. I understand more and more that book title, "Too Busy Not To Pray."

Life is good, but we've only got one to enjoy and make a difference with. Don't forget that, no matter what you're doing or where you're at in life. Chase after God, make time for people, and the rest will fall into place.