10.21.2008

$40 million a week in political advertising.

I just read an article in the New York Times about how much money Obama and McCain are spending in advertising for their campaigns. Just this past week, Obama spent over $30 million, and McCain a little under $10 million, if I read the graph right. Both are spending lots in negative campaigns against their rivals. Obama has the money (his campaign is expected to announce they raised over $100 million in September) to put out both positive and negative ads, being his own "good cop bad cop" as the article states and blowing out McCain's ads.

Quite frankly, I'm baffled that in one month America donates, with the economy in crisis, such a large amount of money for a single politician, and I wonder if we care that much about other causes, like poverty, the millions of homeless people here, or the starving children in Africa. I hope so. Right now I'm disgusted with politics. Everyone is spending oodles of money attacking everyone else. What a waste.