three days of water

Two weeks ago, we experienced our first nor'easter as Bostonians.

It started raining late Friday night, and I could hear the little patter of raindrops on the windows as we drifted off to sleep. The patter turned into loud plinks by the time we woke up Saturday morning.

We spent most of the day inside and dry, cleaning and preparing for the K-State KU rematch for the Big 12 basketball championship game. We invited several people over to enjoy cowboy spaghetti and an evening of purple.

Hanging out with Fox, Sara and Ben was fun, but the game, not as much. Since I'm writing this post after the fact, I choose to relish where we are now — the sweet 16, and not dwell on past emotionally painful events.

The next day we braved day 2 of rain to go to Reunion and decided since we were out already, we might as well use our free ICA tickets before they expired. (Our first visit occurred between exhibits, which meant we each got a free additional ticket to come back for the new exhibit.)

We vastly underestimated the difference in wind and rainfall between downtown and seaside, but had come to far to turn back. Bracing against the gusting winds off the ocean and bullets of rain we arrived, drenched, at the ICA to take in the Roni Horn exhibition. Coincidentally, one of the major themes in her work is water, which seemed very appropriate to our visit. I really appreciated all her work, especially in contrast to the view.

ian watching the storm
roni horn and water

I also caught a few incredible pieces I missed on our last visit, and got a little braver sneaking some photos (sans flash of course, to protect the artwork).

tara donovan | untitled (pins)

On our way home, we ran through the rain and jumped in puddles. Despite our soggy appearances, we had such an amazing day!

our wet feet

The rain continued through Monday and flooded the boiler room at the office, which translated into no heater running. Everyone bundled up in coats and periodically visited the overlook right by my desk to monitor the flooding on the Charles.

Besides interfering with office productivity, the flooding also disrupted the T. It submerged bus stops, forced workers to sandbag the green line tunnels against a swelling Muddy River and substitute bus services for the above-ground trains, and even washed out a section of the D line.

Needless to say, we were happy to see the sun shining Tuesday, and are thankful we don't live in a basement apartment!