12.12.2011

our musical advent calendar, day 12

Inspired by Pinterest, Anna wanted to do an advent calendar. And inspired by Advent Conspiracy, she wanted to make it about presence, not presents. Ian had a brilliant idea to use music. We each picked out some of our favorite Christmas songs and will be counting down with festive tunes.

day 12. "O Holy Night" - David Crowder Band, Oh For Joy


When I heard the DCB version of "O Holy Night" for the first time, a memory of playing special music at church flashed in my head. I was in high school, and practicing piano was lower on my priority list. I managed to pull off the song during the service, but when one of the sweet older ladies asked me to play it again after the Christmas potluck so we could do an impromptu sing-along, I failed miserably, due in part to my lack of experience as accompanist and lack of practice the week before. The strangest things can trigger long lost memories. Even stranger is that the song I played for the special was actually "The First Noel."

Reminiscing aside, this is a beautiful song. I especially love the DCB version because I can sing along without skipping out on the high notes. I’m most comfortable in the tenor range, and Ian can sing high notes better than me. Because if you can't share weird facts about yourself at Christmas, when can you? I hope you enjoy singing along with this song as much as I do!
—Anna

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born.
O night divine, O night, O night divine!

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains He shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!


Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born!
O night divine, O night, O night divine!

Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia


musical advent