12.25.2011

our musical advent calendar, day 25

Inspired by Pinterest, Anna wanted to do an advent calendar. And inspired by Advent Conspiracy, she wanted to make it about presence, not presents. Ian had a brilliant idea to use music. We each picked out some of our favorite Christmas songs and will be counting down with festive tunes.

day 25. "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" - MercyMe, The Christmas Sessions


I was going to write a manifesto on the pursuit of goodwill to go with this song, but then life happened.

We're in Dodge City visiting my aunt and grandmother for Christmas and have had a fantastic time so far. Lots of gifts. Lots of good family time. Then Grandma fell, hurt her arm, and needed to go to the hospital to get it checked out. Please say a prayer for her today.

She was bummed that this happened on Christmas, at a time when the whole family was together. I think all of the family was glad it happened when it did, so that we could all lend a hand and make sure she had enough support. And I guess, on this Christmas, I'm just so thankful for family and the opportunity to be together. That should never be taken for granted.

Merry Christmas to all! Thanks for being a part of this advent and Christmas season. We hope you've enjoyed the music and stories to go along with, and made some of your own — we’d love to hear about them.
—Ian

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet the words repeat
of peace on Earth, good will to men

And thought how as the day had come
The belfries of all Christendom
had rolled along the unbroken song
of peace on Earth, good will to men

I can hear them
I can hear them
I can hear them
I can hear them

And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on Earth" I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
of peace on Earth, good will to men

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead nor does He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
with peace on Earth, good will to men

I can hear You
I can hear You...


musical advent