5.07.2012

kale chips: a vanishing act

future kale chips.

I'm very particular about my vegetables, especially the texture. In most instances, I prefer them raw: salads, veggie sticks, that sort of thing. So one of the benefits to our Boston Organics membership is that it forces me to branch out a little bit. I'm still picky, but expanding my repertoire by finding new ways to eat new-to-me veggies. And I'm a fan of kale chips.

01. Remove the thick center stems of each stalk.
02. Chop into large pieces.
03. Toss in olive oil to coat.
04. Spread out on cookie sheets in a single layer.
04. Sprinkle with sea salt.
06. Bake at 200 degrees until crispy (20-25 minutes in our kitchen).
07. Enjoy.

When we tried a shorter baking time at a higher temperature, we had issues with them tasting burnt. Lesson: they're better when you don't rush it. One bunch made three sheets for us, and the resulting bowl of chips is gone in one sitting.

If you'd asked me last year if I liked kale, you would have gotten an "are you crazy?" look. Now? Bring on the superfood.