3.18.2013

a weekend in the Granite State

weekend in the granite state

Last weekend, Ian and I joined eight friends for a road trip to the Granite State. Despite Boston's foot of snow, the roads stayed clear and we made it to the cabin by nightfall. The last car to arrive, Ryan, Kelly, Ian, and I were greeted by simmering pots of chili, a crackling fireplace, and plenty of excellent company.

Saturday, Ian and I stuck with the non-skiing half of the group. We lounged around the cabin, enjoyed some excellent vegetarian fare, and explored New Hampshire. The latter involved a breathtaking drive through snowy woods, exuberant Dunkin' Donuts employees (I can envision the possibilities for an Undercover Boss episode), and the Enfield Shaker Museum. We didn't have time to take the village tour, but my curiosity is piqued.

weekend in the granite state
weekend in the granite state

We arrived at the Ragged Mountain lodge just in time for a round of drinks with the blissfully exhausted winter sports enthusiasts, then we all headed back to the cabin for dinner, college basketball, and Justin Timberlake on SNL.

weekend in the granite state

Sunday, after an epic breakfast of french toast casserole, we loaded the vehicles, said our goodbyes, and meandered back to Boston.

weekend in the granite state
photo by Old Try

On our way home, we took a detour for a photo session at a lumber operation. Ryan and I scurried around in the mud and snow for the best shots, while Ian and Kelly watched us look silly from the car. Worth it? I think so.

weekend in the granite state

We also stopped in Manchester for brunch at REPUBLIC. I'm slightly jealous of Ian's talent for unearthing amazing local spots in cities we've never before explored, but I can't complain. I am still dreaming about the onion and goat cheese tarte.

Thanks to the Whitsons for organizing a fantastic trip!

Click here for Old Try's trip post, full of eloquent thoughts and beautiful photos.