12.16.2011

our musical advent calendar, day 16

Inspired by Pinterest, Anna wanted to do an advent calendar. And inspired by Advent Conspiracy, she wanted to make it about presence, not presents. Ian had a brilliant idea to use music. We each picked out some of our favorite Christmas songs and will be counting down with festive tunes.

day 16. "The Christmas Waltz" - She & Him, A Very She & Him Christmas



As I mentioned before, I love Zooey Deschanel's voice, especially when it's singing Christmas songs. So I was thrilled when I saw on Pinterest that her band, She & Him, had put together a Christmas album. They cover some classics, but the one that piqued my interest was "The Christmas Waltz." I'm a big fan of music from the Frank Sinatra/Nat King Cole/Ella Fitzgerald era, particularly of the Christmas variety. How had I not heard this song before? It's been sung by some greats (Frank Sinatra), but I think Relevant magazine puts it best: "The duo's take on 'The Christmas Waltz' is easily the quintessential version of the song." So glad I didn't have to mess around with any impostors.
—Anna

Frosted window panes
Candles gleaming inside
Painted candy canes on the tree
Santa's on his way,
He's filled his sleigh
With things, things for you and for me


It's that time of year
When the world falls in love
Every song you hear
Seems to say
Merry Christmas
May your New Year dreams come true

And this song of mine
In three quarter time
Wishes you and yours
The same thing too


musical advent